The London Heart and Chest LTD is directed and managed by Dr Theofilos Kolettis, cardiothoracic surgeon, who studied in Athens and gained valuable experience in congenital anomalies of the heart and chest, aortic surgery, mini bypass for middle-aged patients and any cardiothoracic emergency such as trauma, pneumothorax, aortic dissection, etc. He completed his studies at the University of Athens School of Medicine. He then completed specialty training at Onassis Cardiac Surgery Centre and at Mayo Clinic in the USA. Following on his specialty training he gained a fellowship at Onassis Cardiac Surgery Centre for minimally invasive surgery and worked as a locum Consultant. He gained a Masters Degree (MSc) in robotic assisted surgery, telesurgery and endovascular techniques.
His work experience is extensive, as he has worked in many centers in the UK and Greece with over a thousand cases treated. It is worth mentioning that as a cardiothoracic surgeon of young and middle-aged adults, he applies the ‘’Fast Track recovery’’ method with a total hospitalization time of 4 days for cardiac surgeries and 2 days for thoracic surgeries.
During his studies he received a scholarship for surgical training at the Budapest University Hospital. As a surgical resident he received a special educational permit from the Ministry of Health and went to the Mayo Clinic in the USA for surgical specialization, and recognized as best published work in the Contemporary Surgery Journal.
Furthermore, Dr Theofilos Kolettis is a participating member of:
- The Medical Association of Athens
- The British Medical Association
- The Hellenic Society of Thoracic, Cardiac and Vascular Surgery
- The European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Training & Experience
Graduated from the School of Medicine of the University of Athens.
Master's Degree in "Minimally Invasive Surgery, Robotic Surgery and Telesurgery",
Master's Degree in "Endovascular Techniques", of the School of Medicine of the University of Athens in collaboration with the University of Milan.
Specialty surgical training at Mayo Clinic, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Centre, Metaxa anticancer hospital.
Former Consultant at the Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center (2011 – 2012).
In the period 2012 - 2018 he worked in multiple cardiothoracic centers in the UK such as Southampton, Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, Glasgow and London. Completing advanced training in minimally invasive techniques and specializing in cardiac operations for young and middle-aged adults.
Consultant at Metropolitan General Hospital in Athens since 2018 and offers his services at multiple hospitals in Greece, and directs the London Heart and Chest which offers services across UK centres such as Oxford University Hospital, Wolverhampton Hospital, London and Bridgton Hospital, and starts an international service in Greece.
- Clinical Interests /
He applies Minimally Invasive-Robotic Surgery and the Endovascular treatment of Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms. And specializes in adult congenital and acquired cardiac and thoracic disease of young and middle aged adults.
- Research Interests
He has participated in recognizable publications in international journals, contributing significantly to research projects.
- Conditions Treated
Cardiac surgery in young and middle-aged adults:
- Adult congenital anomalies (Adult Congenital Heart Disease), Heart Valve and Aorta Diseases.
- Early Coronary Artery Disease, Bypass Surgery with Arterial Grafts
- Coronary Anomalies (abnormal origin of the coronary arteries, arteriovenous communications, coronary aneurysms)
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Bicuspid Aortic Valve
- Tricuspid valve
- Pulmonary Valve regurgitation
- Atrial septal defect
- Partial anomalous pulmonary vein drainage
- Ventricular septal defect
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Aneurysms all types
- Acute dissection of the aorta
- Surgical treatment of Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Tumors, Complicated Operations, Re-Operations
Minimally invasive techniques, thoracoscopic - endovascular techniques, hybrid and robotic surgery
Thoracic surgery in young and middle-aged adults:
- Decortication of empyema
- Wedge resection
- Diaphragm plication
- Lung volume reduction surgery – mediastinoscopy, mediastinotomy
- Tracheal stenting
- Video/robotic assisted minimally invasive surgery
- Lung cancer treatments
- Adult congenital deformities
- Treatment of pneumothorax
- Rib fixation surgery for traumatic - Rib fractures
- Surgery for hyperidrosis (VATS/RATS)
- Surgical treatment of complicated pneumonia-empyema
- Minimally invasive pleural effusion drainage
- Long term pleural catheters insertion
- Surgical treatment of spontaneous pneumothorax
- Emergency treatment of blunt and penetrated chest trauma, hemothorax, pneumothorax
- Advanced cardiopulmonary resuscitation with special mechanical support
- ECMO surgical treatment for heart or respiratory failure
Using minimally invasive techniques, including VATS/RATS
Participation in Published Works in International Scientific Journals
- Other Locations Metropolitan General Hospital, 264 Mesogion Avenue/ Μitera, 6 Erythrou Stavrou Str./ Hygeia, 4, Erythrou Stavrou Str. & Kifisias Av./ Ιaso, 37-39 Kifissias Avenue/ ΒioClinic, M. Geroulanou 15 - Athens.
- Accreditation and Insurance
Cooperates with all private health insurances – payment in 12 interest free instalments
Full GMC 6095729 with SpR Cardiothoracic UK license